Welcome!

My life as a Mother and Teacher. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie

As I'm adding this recipe my mouth is watering at the thought of eating this again.  I love chicken pot pie and usually I just put some veges in a dish with some shredded chicken and some cream of chicken soup and a little milk then top with some canned biscuits.  Let me tell you I was fooling myself thinking that was the "right" way to make chicken pot pie.  If this is how you make chicken pot pie you need to try this recipe and let me know what you think!  One day I might be adventurous enough (and have enough time) to make fresh dough for the top but until then the puff pastry works pretty well!  I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients

1 lb boneless chicken breast

3 ½ cups of chicken broth

½ cup whipping cream

15 oz can of sliced carrots

15 oz can of diced potatoes

1 medium onion diced

4 T butter

4 T flour

1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed

Chicken or beef bouillon or base

Extra virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

 

Directions:

Put chicken on aluminum foil lined pan.  Sprinkle with olive oil salt and pepper and bake at 375 until done about 20 minutes.  In a pan on top of the stove add a little olive oil and onions and salt and pepper to taste and sauté onions until translucent.  Add butter, melt then add flour and begin your rue.  Once flour is incorporated add in broth and bouillon cubes or base.  Bring up to a boil and simmer until thickened.  Add whipping cream and stir to combine.  Once chicken is done cube and add into sauce along with carrots and potatoes and any other vegetable you would like to use.  Pour in greased baking dish.  Brush edges of dish with egg wash and placed puff pastry on top sticking edges of to dish.  Brush top of puff pastry with egg wash and sprinkle some salt and pepper on top then place in oven for about 20-30 minutes at 375.  If the puff pastry begins to brown too fast you can bring oven down to 350.  Serve when crust is golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment