Welcome!

My life as a Mother and Teacher. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Blueberry Upside Down Cake

Well, I can't take credit for this recipe as I found it on the internet while searching for a way to use up all the blueberries Todd brought home from the garden center. (Side note: They have some great blueberry bushes that are producing "boocoodles" of blueberries if you are in the market for a blueberry bush this summer...it would be well worth the cost for all the blueberry desserts you could make this summer!) I however am not a fan of fresh blueberries...I like them in smoothies, sometimes parfaits but best in blueberry pancakes I make at home! This dessert I think will soon be a favorite. It's quite simple, you take fresh blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and a boxed cake mix (who doesnt have one of those lying around the house?) and put it all together for a beautiful and delicious dessert. I just had my first piece and as I write this I keep glancing at my now empty plate debating if I will take a shower before or after I have my second piece (just a little one I promise). Before I give you this recipe I just want to make one confession...I have began walking with my two children...well pushing one in the stroller and holding the other in his now too small carrier (I have a hold him in order to get my workout since he walks super slow and tries to stop and play with everything...then of course we play on the playground and I get in some lunges and push ups). Anyways...back to my confession...If only I could stop eating desserts I would probably begin to lose some baby weight...excuse me make that "babies" weight since I didnt lose the weight from my first child before I got pregnant with the second. I love to bake and when one dessert gets gone at our house I have to decipher what I plan on making next. As some of you know I took cake decorating classes and enjoying making cakes and decorating them. I am partial to my chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling and recently added toffee chips to the filling as well...hmmm. If I had the money I would love to open up a desserts shop that also made cakes for weddings, birthdays and such...but I dont know how it would do in roxboro and where in the world would I get the money to open up such a business. Nevertheless it is a dream of mine all because I love to bake and concoct new desserts to satisfy my ultimate sweet tooth. So back to the real reason for this blog Blueberry Upside Down Cake...again not my recipe...I found it on the internet!













Blueberry Upside Down Cake


3 c. fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed & drained)

1 1/2 tbsp. tbsp. lemon juice

3/4 c. sugar

1 1/2 tbsp. corn starch

2-3 tbsp. butter

1 yellow cake mix


Spread berries evenly in bottom of 9 x 13 inch greased cake pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine sugar and corn starch and pour over berries. Dot with butter.Top with prepared cake batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until done. Invert pan before cake gets cool. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

*I topped with fresh blueberries because I had some on hand and it was a great way to cut the sweetness of the dessert with a punch of tart blueberry!

No comments:

Post a Comment